Dr. Novella is a neurologist and has spent a lot of time on his blog dealing with dualism. Dualism is a philosophy of the mind, that asserts that some properties of consciousness are not due to physical phenomena. This is known as Cartesian Dualism. Naturalistic Dualism holds that it is the brain that causes conscientiousness, but we don't know how.
Neuroscience supports the position that consciousness is an emergent property of the brain.
- there is no mind with no brain.
- brain development correlates with mental development
- if you damage the brain you damage the mind
- different states of consciousness correlate with different brain states
- able to provoke specific mental effects by stimulating the brain (MEG)